A History of Giving Back
In 1936, Keeneland was created as a model race track for the Thoroughbred industry. Toward our founding mission, revenues from Keeneland’s racing and sales operations are reinvested in the horse industry, funding purse money for the tracks world-class racing program and supporting innovative marketing and research initiatives in the areas of equine safety and welfare.
Our founders also instilled a vision for contributing, not only to the betterment of racing, but to the Central Kentucky community of which we are an integral part.
The areas of impact in which we focus our charitable giving includes the following:
Causes related to the Thoroughbred industry
Arts and Culture
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Health and Human Services
The Keeneland Giving program is a year-round initiative that provides gifts, services or sponsorships to entities organizing events to raise funds for their cause.
If you are a Kentucky-based 501c organization, we would be happy to review your request through the process outlined below.
- Requests must be submitted two months prior to the event date.
- Consideration is given to initiatives in Kentucky, with priority given to Central Kentucky and Thoroughbred related entities.
- Requests will not be fulfilled during the months of April and October due to live racing.
- Giving requests will not be reviewed from/for individuals, political entities, third parties (organizations requesting for the benefit of other organizations), organizations that discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
- Keeneland has the right to decline requests or make changes and exceptions to this program at any time.
To make a request for the Keeneland Giving program, please complete our request form linked here.
The Keeneland Foundation provides grants once annually to Kentucky-based 501c organizations with our priority focus being organizations in Central Kentucky.
Funding of the Keeneland Foundation is directly connected to proceeds received from the Keeneland/Cross Gate Gallery Sporting Art Auction and historically targets capital expansion and equipment purchases, as well as endowment programs for scholarship funds within our pillars of giving.
- Grant requests are accepted January 1 – December 31 for consideration in the first quarter of the following year.
- Grants will not be considered for requests from/for individuals, political entities, primary and secondary schools, youth sports leagues, fraternal veterans or organizations (unless the gift is in support of a recognized community project), and religious organizations for the exclusive benefit of one religious entity; or, for annual operating support.
- For anything related to tickets or sponsorships for charitable tournaments, luncheons, dinners, etc., please see Keeneland Giving.
To make a request for the Keeneland Foundation, please complete our request form linked here.
Keeneland Library Foundation
In 2014, Keeneland formed the Keeneland Library Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization to support unique Keeneland Library projects that preserve and share the Thoroughbred industry’s past and present with an eye to the future. The Keeneland Library Foundation’s mission is to broaden Keeneland Library’s access and outreach initiatives through educational programs for youth and adults, exhibits, and targeted digitization and preservation projects of its one-of-a-kind, world-class collections.